The LGMA is collaborating with libraries and the Department of Children, Equality and Disability on a new initiative that will see 4,500 Early Learning and Care settings, including registered childminders, receive free book bags from their local library.
The Little Library Initiative aims to develop a consistent link between early learning and care service and their local library to encourage a love of books and reading among young children.
The First 5 Little Library Initiative will:
- Distribute a selection of books and resources to all early learning and care services, through the national network of libraries;
- Ensure this selected collection of books is also held in libraries which can be loaned out to young children and their families;
- Encourage membership and use of the library network among early learning and care services and among young children and their families;
- Support the early learning and care services and families in use of this resource;
- Encourage ongoing collaboration between the early learning and care services and libraries and support families in establishing or developing the practice of reading.
The project is a collaboration between the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth (DCEDIY), the Department of Rural and Community Development (DRCD) and the Local Government Management Agency (LGMA). €650,000 has been provided for the project from DCEDIY and DRCD.
The distribution of the First 5 Little Library is being managed by the Libraries Development Unit at the LGMA.