The Local Government Management Agency (LGMA) is a State agency established in 2012 following the merger of the Local Government Management Services Board (LGMSB), the Local Government Computer Services Board (LGCSB) and the integration of An Comhairle Leabharlanna (ACL) functions.
The LGMA is an agency of Local Authorities, primarily funded by Local Authorities, and operates in the local government sector, reporting on performance as required to the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government.
The Agency aims to meet the needs of Local Authorities and the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government (DHPLG) in delivering on the public sector reform agenda in the local government sector (particularly in terms of sectoral approaches to service delivery), researching emerging and identified issues, assisting Local Authorities in the implementation and measurement of change, and supporting, in general, enhanced performance by the local government sector.
The statutory remit of the Agency extends to include:
• The delivery of advisory services to Local Authorities to assist and co-ordinate the business of these Local Authorities;
• The delivery of such services as may be required by Local Authorities in the Industrial Relations (IR) and Human Resource Management (HR) domain;
• The delivery of such services as may be required by Local Authorities for the purpose of coordinating and securing compatibility in, the use of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT);
• The provision of advice, assistance and services to Library Authorities in relation to the public library service;
• The provision of such other management services as may be required by Local Authorities;
• The provision of such services for meetings of Local Authority Chief Executives and such other support services required by the County and City Management Association (CCMA);
• The provision of such services as required as Registrar of Public Lending Remuneration;
• The provision of such advice, information and assistance required by the Minister of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government.